Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pâte feuilletée au beurre

I la-huv Mondays!  I was not really feeling it sunday night when I set my alarm.  I didn't feel as bad as when i would go to work, but still hated that have to be up at 6:30.  Monday morning pressed snooze a few times so I ended up running out the door (kinda typical).  I actually think i would have been on time if i did not need to wait for 3 trains!  Ok, so, I don't ever remember the L in Chicago being so pack, but that may be selective memory.  People are l-i-t-e-r-a-l-l-y  pressed against the doors.  I actually almost got caught in one as it closed the other day.  Monday when I got to the platform there was a crowd already waiting, which is never a good sign.  When the first train pulled up I went from car to car looking for a hole to squeeze into, but the doors closed before i could make my move.  The next train came and the same thing.  And people had that look like "Don't you even think about squeezing on here."  By the third train i said screw it, I have to get on!  i made some enemies but at least i was finally headed to class.

Made it to class 10 min late--go figure--but my stress and flustration (this word absolutely applies to me) was quickly mitigated.  The pastry kitchen is huge and every bench has a slab of cold marble for us to work on.  No sweating in here.  

And then came the dough...ahh.  So relaxing to work with. We use the super old school, but super awesome technique of using the marble bench, a pastry scraper, and our hands.  Todays lesson was on pâte feuilletée, puff pastry and the various applications.  We rolled the dough out 6 times with 30min rests between every other roll...Rest? In class? I'm in heaven! And the results... let me start by saying YUM.  (see submitted evidence, lol!)

Tarte Feuilletée aux Fruits
We made vanilla pudding (at least thats what it taste like, so good, didn't care what it was called) as the base/filling. We added a strip of dough as a border on each side so as it baked and puffed, it formed a valley of sorts to fill with fresh strawberries, raspberries, figs, and lime slices; yes it tastes as good as it looks!
Mille-feuille
The same dough was used for this, but we places a baking sheet on top during the first half of its backing time to prevent it from puffing.  It still has a flaky, crispy texture, as the other dessert, but obviously flat.  Three layers filled with the "pudding", strawberries and figs. YUM again.


Elephant ears
We had leftover dough so the chef suggested we make Elephant ears.  We rolled it out, sprinkled with a ton of sugar, folded in twice, and cut in thin slices.  Kind of a cross between a butter cookie and a cracker maybe.  Buttery and sweet, but flaky, not crumbly.

So rest assured, I will not shrivel up while I'm here.  No dinner, but I always have dessert!

In case you were curious, this is my mallette, knife kit.
I know the name of everything in French! (ok, like 85%)
P.S. In case you were curious, this is my mallette, knife kit, provide by the school.  I know the name of everything in French! (ok, like 85%).  There a few things that I wish I could bring from home--like my lemon zester/garlic grater, I love that thing--but all essentials are here.  Most important items: Chefs knife, paring knife, vegetable peeler, wooden spoon, and tasting spoon. 

3 comments:

  1. I want you to come to Michigan and make all those things for me!!! They look WONDERFUL!!! Glad you are doing well. Always late. :) Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the elephant ears! Stop being so tentative on the train. You're from Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg! Now you know I love sweets and that looks divine!

    ReplyDelete